-
March 23rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
#41
Inactive Member
Originally posted by bfish:
Commercialization of someone else's design without their implicit permission to do so is theft, plain and simple.
And it's done every day.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To clarify, I meant this in an ethical sense, not legal. Not that anyone besides a few of us dinosaurs gives two hoots about ethics anymore.
From a legal POV, publication of plans and design data represents implicit permission unless specific non-commercial stipulations are applied.
-
March 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM
#42
Inactive Member
OK guys, the ball's in motion. The plans are in the hands of the factory. I'll be getting pricing soon.
I forgot to mention to my brother, I want the boxes finished on all sides like the 19's. I don't know if Altec finished all sides on the 620. I think it would be a good touch.
About the connectors; I'm thinking about using two pair of 5 way binding posts set in a steel cup and recessed into the back of the cabinets. This way if anyone wanted to bi-amp, the connectors are already there. To make them more "idiot proof" the two connectors should be connected in parallel.
I haven't been able to locate the connector set up I'm after. Anyone out the able to turn me on to where I can find what I'm looking for? I could always use a single pair in a plastic cup like in the pictures but, I think that would be "cheap" looking. web pageweb page 2
-
March 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
#43
Inactive Member
-
March 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
#44
Inactive Member
Originally posted by GM:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selmerdave:
I hear your concerns and I agree with you, particularly (and since I brought it up) with respect to the design of Jay Fisher's MLTL cabs and possibile improprieties in manufacturing his design for sale without adequate compensation to him.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!
And me, JF modded a design I gave him and was involved with each iteration as he adapted it to suit his needs.
GM</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi GM,
Apologies and duly noted. Have you and Jay ever considered selling plans? I would think there is a good amount of interest out there in that design.
Dave
-
March 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM
#45
HB Forum Owner
Hi Guys,
Yes, I'm involved in Bill's box project. He has two levels of boxes in the works - one type is available now - turns out he just hasn't decided to offer them yet because he's got some other types from a different designer/builder that he really wants for his "upper end" systems.
I've seen a prototype of the high-end box - REALLY nice.
The one he can get now - when he's ready - is more akin to Altec's traditional designs.
That said, he's got several ideas in th works in addition to that...
He's planning on a demo room at the LoneStar Audio Fest in Dallas this coming May...
-
March 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
#46
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
No apology required, just that the various recent responses make it sound like these were solely JF's, which he use to rightly give me most of the credit for. The woodworking, bracing details, finishing touches, any drawings are all his though. I don't mind doing the basic design and answering Qs about bracing/whatever, but I never bothered to make drawings for any speakers I built, so certainly not going to for someone else for the 'pocket change' folks are willing to pay. Indeed, way too many folks down right expect everything to be handed to them freely for the asking and have the audacity to berate/demand a response either on-line or in a PM if they don't get it in what they consider a timely fashion. Sometimes for info that would cost them $thousands$ if they contracted a HT designer or similar to work out the details.
As I noted somewhere recently, the finished product is in theory somewhat compromised from the original MLTL, so as good as it apparently sounds, it may can sound a bit better if you can tolerate a bigger cab, though the electronics used would have a lot to do with it.
Anyway, I prefer to just be a DIYer and when folks offer me $$ I ask them to donate in my name to this or some other forum whatever they deem appropriate, though I don't know if they ever do. Since Todd has never listed me AFAIK, I wonder........
GM
-
March 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM
#47
Inactive Member
ROTFLMAO, GM!
Don't think I ever demanded but I sure did ask and got an earfull of a reply that will soon become Hardwood!
The joy I get from being here can't be bought anywhere or at any price.
I do have to wonder what the heck could be in a High end cabinet that won't be in the ones I am building from the info I got here?
To coin a phrase from another member, "They are only speakers" so short of doing some super fancy woodwork there is not alot left to re-design for drivers that have been around for 30 years or more.
I think we all ought to know by now, we can get rediculously clinical about all of this and in the end our ears may not like how clinical they sound. When all is said and done the end result is completely a matter of personal choice and those of us who happen to love the sound of Altecs just might be very disappointed when we tweek them much further from where Altec did.
We may be able to build a better mouse trap but in the end, the mouse is still dead.
Gary
-
March 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
#48
Inactive Member
Originally posted by GM:
...sinp...Dunno what constitutes 'high end' ...snip...GM
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You may remember my definition, which doesn't fit anything an Altec should be installed in. If that's what it takes to pay the rent though, I s'pose there's little choice but to join the crowd.
-
March 25th, 2007, 06:36 AM
#49
Inactive Member
Hi Todd.
What is your involvement with Bill and his new boxes? Do you have a shop to make the cabinets or is your involvement restricted to design etc.?
I don't want to step on any one's toes. I have a resource available to me that few ever get a chance to take advantage of. As I stated somewhere in one of the threads, my involvement in having cabinets made is more a labor of love than a way of making money. For the amount of time spent on this project, I'd be better off working for minimum wage than doing what I'm doing. For that matter, I may loose money on this deal. If it does cost me, at least I'll have some very well made boxes to load with speakers that have been sitting on shelves for years. LOL, perhaps I'm working on some "high end" Christmas presents for my kids and brother.
What's funny here is, few have responded to my questions about how to improve the boxes Altec designed. People are fast to critique someone else's' effort after its done but, when asked directly for their opinions before hand, they remain mute. People are funny animals.
I'd like to thank those who've given me their opinions and advise. Perhaps they will benefit from their input if they buy a pair of the boxes being made. At the very least, they will know their opinions were heard, considered and perhaps, implemented.
-
March 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM
#50
HB Forum Owner
Well, I drew up a couple of plans for boxes that are take-off's on Altec designs, and I've got a local cabinetmaker here who has quoted Bill on them and is making a pair of samples for him now. I'm helping him with the particulars of building them, as he's not built Altec-style enclosures before.
That's all...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks